Saturday, September 11, 2010

Bizarre but nice

Last night Jacob took me out on a date.

No, that’s not what is bizarre. He does thoughtful things like that. He’s a very sweet man.

He surprised me with a Chinese vegan/vegetarian restaurant in Salt Lake called Evergreen. We split a dish made from soy that tasted and looked just like shrimp. Yum.

P1080883

It was our waitress that made the night a little bizarre. She was a middle-aged woman from Taiwan.

Waitress: Do you speak Chinese?

Jacob: Yes.

Waitress: Nihao.

Jacob: Yang she. (This is the name of our favorite Chinese song.)

Waitress: What?

Jacob, pointing to me: Yang she.

Waitress, clearly touched: Oh…oh. That is so sweet. Liang she.

Jacob and me: Smiling and laughing. We have no idea what is so sweet.

Waitress: She is so beautiful. You are the perfect couple. It is like you are still very much in love.

She leaves.

She brings our food.

Waitress to me: I must tell you something. I feel like I have known you for a very long time.

Me: What’s your name?

Waitress: Anne. Your face, you are so open, so friendly, I feel I can talk to you. What do you think?

Me: Um, sure, yeah I’m pretty open, I like to meet new people. That’s very nice.

Waitress: Where are you from?

Jacob: We have no home. We just travel. We were in China, Thailand, India this year.

Waitress: You look very young, so you must have saved up to do this.

Me: We have internet businesses so we work and travel at the same time.

Waitress: Oh.

She leaves and brings us the check.

Waitress: I have a daughter. She is very young. She is 19 and she is getting married. I am stressed. It is giving me gray hair.

Me: Don’t worry, you look very young!

Waitress: I want my daughter to be like you. You have complete freedom, and this gives you happiness.

Jacob and I, in unison: Are you a fortune teller?

Waitress: Looks at us blankly.

We say our goodbyes and leave.

P1080889

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow, what a bizarre conversation, you're right. i bet she just didn't understand half of what you were saying :P
btw: cute yellow shirt! you look like a bumblebee, but in a good way

Powered by Blogger